Friday, September 16, 2016

You live where?

Greetings from the Forest


If I had a nickel for every time someone said "you live where?" I'd have a big ol bag of nickels.  Most of the time this question comes from someone that is not from this area.  Like when I go back to Arizona to visit.  Having lived in the city all of my life it is even foreign to me at times that I now live where I do.  And it is an adventure, to say the least.  I now live on 35 acres, in the mountains, surrounded by ponderosa pines and lots of wild animals.   So how big is 35 acres?  Well in round numbers an acre it is 43,560 square feet.  A football field is about 48,000 square feet.  So I live on almost 35 football fields.  Good thing it's not grass that I have to mow!

I first came to Trinidad for work back in 2008.  I met so many wonderful people, saw the forest and decided to work towards making the move.  Fortunately in 2012 my job was ending in Arizona and thus the decision was made for me.  I had no idea the adventure I was embarking on, oh ignorance is bliss.  City girl moves to the forest.

The first thing I noticed was the silence in the forest.  Although at times I can hear the highway, if the wind is blowing just right, but most of the time I hear the birds chirping or one of my favorite sounds, the wind blowing through the trees or absolutely nothing.  Especially after it snows, the silence is peaceful.  I don't hear sirens, airplanes, traffic, neighbors and it is just blissful.  

Several years ago I was traveling with a dear friend from Sedona to Spokane.  We were in the middle of the Nevada desert and had pulled the U-haul truck over and she said come listen to this.  I stood there looking at her, thinking she was crazy because I didn't hear a thing, nothing, no traffic, no wind, no noise, nothing.  I said I don't hear anything and she said exactly!  Isn't is wonderful.  It took a minute for that to sink in, I'm a bit slow at times, but then I realized just how wonderful it was and to now live somewhere that I notice and appreciate the silence daily is just, well, amazing.  Thank you Gloria for pointing out the sound of silence.

The Nevada desert

Can you hear the silence





















Recently Trinidad hosted the Artocade Parade and Cardango party.  It is the second largest, after Houston, art car festival in the United States.  Many amazing cars decorated in all kinds of fancy, wacky, crazy ways.  It happens the second weekend in September and is great fun.  I might mention there were 83 entries!


This car was made by the Trinidad Correctional Facility

This car won Most Creative by C. Wollard, Tulsa, OK

Even kids got in on it - this is Mihelich from Pueblo, CO
Ok last photo -


Until next time -


1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the forest! I would love to live in the middle of nowhere.... Provided there was good medical care within 30 minutes and I never had to shovel snow or stack firewood (because I can no longer do either).

    ReplyDelete